The Swedish Dementia Centre is a non-profit organisation. The commission of creating a national centre for excellence in dementia care was given to the two foundations: Silviahemmet and Stockholm Gerontology Research Center by the Swedish government and commissioned by the National Board of Health and Welfare. The Swedish Dementia Centre was established in February 2008.
The Swedish Dementia Centre (SDC) is located in The House of Aging Research. Apart from us it is also the home of Aging Research Center, a collaboration between The Karolinska Institutet and Stockholm University, which conducts scientific research in cognition, geriatric epidemiology and social gerontology, and the Stockholm Gerontology Research Center – a municipal foundation working with issues in aging and long-term care. SDC, as well as the other organisations in the House of Aging Research, are financed totally through governmental support and other grant organizations.
Our Scientific Council consists of the Steering Committee of Swedish Brain Power under the supervision of Director and Professor Bengt Winblad.
Our commission is to;
- Collect, structure and disseminate knowledge about dementia and dementia care with special attention to gender and ethnic issues
- Compile evaluations and research results
- Develop more practically orientated knowledge
- Facilitate translation of research and implementation of new knowledge into nursing and care, interventions and social policy
- Be a link between research, practice and decision makers
- Be the hub of a national network for research and development units
Our vision is to be a centre of excellence that gradually builds up a bank of knowledge within the area of dementia and actively promotes future development in care of persons with dementia.
Our Web site is mostly in Swedish as our aim is to make information easily accessible to care providers and the general public.
We have translated some of our information sheets to other languages than Swedish. We will continually post new subjects and translations.
You can find the information sheets here »
Please contact us by telephone or e-mail if you have any questions »
For more information regarding ARC » (new window)
For more information regarding Swedish Brain Power » (new window)